Director of Strategic Operations, NGOsource
Full-Time position in San Francisco (with possibility for remote)
We’re a high-impact, global nonprofit social enterprise that believes in using technology for the greater good. Since 1987, we’ve been building partnerships and alliances with individuals, corporations, nonprofits, and governments across the globe – all committed to helping nonprofits fully access the profound power of technology and a connected world — and use it to improve lives.
But we won’t stop there: as technology and global needs change, so do we. We’re creating new, community-driven platforms and mobile apps and are enhancing our offerings so that nonprofits around the world have the resources they need to build a brighter future for millions of individuals.
We’re innovators, leaders, influencers, social entrepreneurs, and technologists drawn together by a shared vision: to make the world a better place through technology. Join us!
We're looking for a leader to join our fast-growing, revolutionary NGOsource service and related due diligence programs as they continue to scale and deliver sector-moving impact. In this role, you will work closely with the General Manager and operational team to manage the delivery of direct services as well as partner with peers and leadership responsible for the delivery of specialized services, business development, fundraising, and relationship building. You will manage directly and indirectly the technical applications that support and power your operational vision and NGOsource’s mission – streamlining, expanding, and democratizing international change.
You and your team will interface with colleagues across the globe, working with many of the more than 60 NGO partners who make up the TechSoup Global Network and with thousands of NGOs undergoing the ED (equivalency determination) process in every corner of the map. Your role will also require client and donor relationship interactions and budget forecasting and management.
The environment is dynamic, growing fast, mission-focused and has very high customer service standards. We need to scale and do so economically and effectively in order to support more needs of our members and the communities we help them transform.
As Director of Strategic Operations for NGOsource, you will be a proactive, forward-thinking agent of change who is excited about fostering meaningful relationships within the sector, as well as developing and implementing scalable processes, organizational models and workflows to increase the quality, efficiency, value and effectiveness of the department's operations and service delivery. You will report to the General Manager of NGOsource, and will collaborate to develop and execute on the department's strategic roadmap; coordinate and optimize strategic financial management, outside counsel and vendor management, knowledge management, and talent management activities; develop metrics to measure and enhance performance; develop and work with a cross-organizational team to execute on the department's technology roadmap and IT system implementations; and manage department communications. You will also manage communications with our hundreds of inspiring grantmaker members, helping to ensure that their needs are met and that our work continues to bring value to the global philanthropic sector.
What to expect
- Partner with the team to define and deliver a red-carpet customer journey and surpassing customer care.
- Design and manage processes to positively impact the NGOsource team's productivity and effectiveness, including client communications, financial management, knowledge management, and Equivalency Determination (legal opinion) and due diligence support
- Co-lead the development, execution and management of NGOsource's strategic planning process and annual operating plan, including headcount planning, monitoring expenditures and disbursements and recommending and instituting budget revisions when necessary
- Liaise with in-house and external legal services and external and in-house technology teams
- Develop and deliver training for team members, TechSoup Global Network partners, new customers, NGOs and teams across TechSoup in the broader organization on NGOsource’s processes and procedures (e.g. new hire on-boarding training, new software or process rollout, new features, etc.)
- Develop, implement and enhance a comprehensive departmental strategic communications plan (e.g., newsletters, announcements, and messages from department leadership)
- Support the General Manager with team structure, strategy and engagement
- Partner with the General Manager to manage organizational planning for the department, including supporting efforts related to recruiting, training, retention and performance management of department personnel
- Act as a thought partner to legal leadership in reviewing and implementing innovation in legal operations, best practices, and continual process improvement to augment team output and reduce onus.
What you need to be successful
- At least 8 years of relevant, broad operations experience or equivalent
- A strong belief in the power of philanthropy, international development, and the potential of a systems approach to due diligence, like NGOsource, which through streamlining Equivalency Determination, has created a sustainable way to scale international giving around the world.
- A passion for TechSoup's mission -- to build a dynamic bridge that enables civil society organizations and social change agents around the world to gain effective access to the resources they need to design and implement technology solutions for a more equitable planet. NGOsource is one of many TechSoup programs in service of this mission.
- Superior knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, customer service, IT management, and employee management
- A delight in problem-solving and the process of collaborative innovation
- Strong project planning and management experience with a proven track record of consistently successfully completing projects on-time and on-budget, and achieving the desired result
- Excellent and proven people management skills, with an eye toward keeping staff motivated and valued. Culture is king at TechSoup, we seek a leader who measures achievement by how far we go together – we value diversity in our teams and our thinking.
- Experience creating new revenue opportunities or strategies/initiatives to drive growth, cost savings, and expansion
- Demonstrated ability building and leading a complex, data-driven function
- Experience with budget and business plan development
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, utilizing effective organizational skills to prioritize and manage deadlines for multiple simultaneous projects for multiple stakeholders
- Excellent judgment, discretion, interpersonal skills and highly team-oriented
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Other Helpful Background
- Experience with foundations, corporate social responsibility and/or NGOs
- Knowledge of Equivalency Determination and/or international grantmaking
- Ability to speak multiple languages a plus
What's in it for you?
- Join a proven yet still ambitious global tech nonprofit network and a one-of-a-kind service making international cash grantmaking for US grantmakers easier through standards, tech and collaboration. Be part of digitally transforming the social sector and civil society around the world.
- NGOsource and TechSoup Swag!
TechSoup is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to ensuring that all employees and applicants receive equal consideration and treatment, regardless of race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), religion, marital or domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical, mental or medical disability, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship, military service status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.