Legal Counsel or CPA
Full-Time, Exempt position
We’re a high-impact, global nonprofit social enterprise that believes in using technology for the greater good. Since 1987, we’ve been building partnerships and alliances with individuals, corporations, nonprofits, and governments across the globe – all committed to helping nonprofits fully access the profound power of technology and a connected world — and use it to improve lives.
But we won’t stop there: as technology and global needs change, so do we. We’re creating new, community-driven platforms and mobile apps and are enhancing our offerings so that nonprofits around the world have the resources they need to build a brighter future for millions of individuals. We’re innovators, leaders, influencers, social entrepreneurs, and technologists drawn together by a shared vision: to make the world a better place through technology. Join us!
NGOsource, a project of the Council on Foundations and TechSoup, is an online equivalency determination (ED) service for US funders who make international grants. It offers a unique centralized repository of EDs for NGOs and governments located in 150 countries and counting. NGOsource provides ED services to over 485 grantmaker members and other organizations who are interested in this elite level of grantmaking compliance. NGOsource’s membership includes nine of the ten largest international grantmakers in the US and 18 of the largest 20, as well as donor advised funds, small and medium-sized family foundations, corporate foundations, and community foundations.
The ED Legal Counsel or CPA will be drafting equivalency determinations (EDs) for NGOsource on a full-time basis. This requires reviewing and analyzing governing documents and supporting statements provided by non-U.S. NGOs, and drafting a formal opinion regarding each organization’s public charity equivalency status, in conformity with U.S. tax law. Other tasks include conducting legal research, corresponding regularly with non-U.S. NGOs and partners, U.S. grantmakers, and internal staff to explain legal issues of relevance to foreign public charity equivalency. While prior experience is strongly preferred, NGOsource is able to train newcomers if a promising candidate is identified.
Please note that this position may only be filled by one of the following:
- an attorney,
- a certified public accountant, or
- an enrolled IRS agent,
licensed in a state, territory, or possession of the U.S.
In addition, the candidate must have the following qualities:
- One to three years of directly related experience. Related experience might include roles at professional services firms providing relevant legal or tax services to philanthropic organizations, or roles supporting management or administration of international grants at US‐based foundations. Candidates who have related experience not falling into these categories are welcome to apply, explaining in their cover letter why the experience is valuable background for this position.
- attention to detail;
- excellent writing skills;
- ability to work under pressure and adherence to deadlines;
- hard working; and
- respectful of differences in other cultures, languages, and contexts.
Desired Additional Qualifications
- familiarity with, and experience drafting, foreign public charity equivalency determinations;
- experience in the nonprofit sector;
- ability to explain difficult legal and/or tax concepts in laymen’s terms;
- interest in international issues and NGOs;
- foreign language skills
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 3 references.