About Caravan Studios
Caravan Studios is a division of TechSoup, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in San Francisco, CA. We believe that communities should be deeply involved in developing tools to solve the problems they face. We build apps for social good and we build them along with the community who needs them.
This internship is geared for individuals interested in developing and expanding their knowledge and skills in program design and management, including elements of program operations and strategic planning, community engagement, and program expansion research.
The intern’s work will support the Safe Shelter Collaborative, a program that helps to expedite emergency shelter placements for survivors of human trafficking, domestic violence, and sexual assault. Primary activities will entail helping to finalize program management documentation and communications to encourage adoption of and ongoing use of the Safe Shelter Collaborative. The intern also may participate in helping to identify regions that could be interested in adopting the Safe Shelter Collaborative.
All interns should be enrolled in a college class or program where the work described above matches the student’s academic pursuit or area of study. Student should have an overall grade point average of 3.0 (B or better); and ideally will be receiving academic credit for the internship.
We tailor our internships to meet the skills and learning goals for each intern. Therefore, the exact tasks for this internship may shift or evolve, but we expect the primary responsibilities to be as follows:
I. Contribute to program management and strategic planning:
- Help finalize 5-year business plan, including writing content to document program priorities, action plans, and competitive analysis.
- Support the development of internal program management processes to drive towards delivery goals and objectives.
- Co-create a programmatic dashboard to show program updates at-a-glance.
2. Help create new or revised community engagement materials:
- Produce articles or case studies, such as showing how agencies have incorporated the Safe Shelter Collaborative into their operations, or implemented a hotel placement program, or expanded their donor engagement using social media to promote the SafeNight mobile app.
- Support online community introductory sessions.
- Contribute to training and support materials for distribution in print and online format.
- Help refine and implement campaign and outreach strategies, such as program promotions during national issue awareness campaigns and regionally focused community engagement efforts.
3. Conduct research to inform program expansion priorities:
- Research and analyze existing data to find and map organizations and communities who can best use the Safe Shelter Collaborative resources.
- Assist with the preparation of project-related reports, manuscripts, and presentations.
- Perform qualitative analysis and/or quantitative analyses of program administrative data, using computer software as applicable.
Skill and Experience Needed
- Excellent writing, analytical, communication, and research skills
- Detail-oriented and highly-organized
- Ability to meet deadlines, work collaboratively and manage several projects at once
- Extensive research experience; knowledge of qualitative and/or quantitative strategies
- Excellent telephone and email communication skills
- Ability to represent Caravan Studios and TechSoup in a professional manner
- Be a part of a nationally recognized and award-winning internship program
- College credit or field placement hours available to qualified students
- Access to extensive nonprofit and technologist network
- Further develop applicable research and community engagement and outreach skills
- Participate in an innovative internship where students can broaden their knowledge, skills and experience to effectively utilize tools for social good
- Work with a dynamic and enthusiastic team committed to the work and the mission of the organization, as well as to supporting and engaging interns in our efforts
- Develop Portfolio examples to share with future employers
- Access to technologically innovative ideas/products
- 20 -24 hrs per week during the school year
- This is a remote position
- This is an unpaid internship
- College credit may be available.
Please forward all application materials including a resume and cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this internship opportunity and our organization.