This internship is geared for individuals interested in developing and expanding their knowledge and skills in community engagement and communications, as well as research related to program expansion and planning.
The intern’s work will support the Safe Shelter Collaborative, a program that helps to expedite emergency shelter placements for survivors of human trafficking, domestic violence, and sexual assault. Primary activities will entail helping to develop communications to encourage adoption of and ongoing use of the Safe Shelter Collaborative. The intern also may participate in helping to identify regions that could be interested in adopting the Safe Shelter Collaborative.
All interns should be enrolled in a college class or program where the work described above matches the student’s academic pursuit or area of study. Student should have an overall grade point average of 3.0 (B or better); and ideally will be receiving academic credit for the internship.
We tailor our internships to meet the skills and learning goals for each intern. Therefore, the exact tasks for this internship may shift or evolve, but we expect the primary responsibilities to be as follows:
Help create support and community engagement materials for the Safe Shelter Collaborative. Examples for tasks and assignment include:
- Produce articles or case studies, such as showing how agencies have incorporated the Safe Shelter Collaborative into their operations, or implemented a hotel placement program, or expanded their donor engagement using social media to promote the SafeNight mobile app.
- Contribute to revised or new messaging on program collateral—such as websites, conference handouts, palm cards—to engage new agency users and/or donors.
- Support online and in-person community introductory sessions.
- Contribute to training and support materials for distribution in print and online format.
- Communicate and engage the community through social media channels and campaigns.
- Help refine and implement campaign and outreach strategies, such as program promotions during national issue awareness campaigns and regionally focused community engagement efforts.
Conduct research to help inform program expansion priorities for the Safe Shelter Collaborative. As part of that work, students will be asked to:
- Research and analyze existing data to find and map organizations and communities who can best use the Safe Shelter Collaborative resources.
- Assist with the preparation of project-related reports, manuscripts, and presentations.
- Perform qualitative analysis and/or quantitative analyses of program administrative data, using computer software as applicable.
Skill and Experience Needed
- Excellent writing, analytical, communication, and research skills
- Detail-oriented and highly-organized
- Ability to meet deadlines, work collaboratively and manage several projects at once
- Extensive research experience; knowledge of qualitative and/or quantitative strategies
- Excellent telephone and email communication skills
- Ability to represent Caravan Studios and TechSoup in a professional manner
- Be a part of a nationally recognized and award-winning internship program
- College credit or field placement hours available to qualified students
- Access to extensive nonprofit and technologist network
- Further develop applicable research and community engagement and outreach skills
- Participate in an innovative internship where students can broaden their knowledge, skills and experience to effectively utilize tools for social good
- Work with a dynamic and enthusiastic team committed to the work and the mission of the organization, as well as to supporting and engaging interns in our efforts
- Develop Portfolio examples to share with future employers
- Access to technologically innovative ideas/products
- 12-24 hrs per week during the school year
- Students can work remotely or on site at the San Francisco office
- This is an unpaid internship
- College credit may be available.
Please forward all application materials to Mary Duffy, Director of Educational Programs, Caravan Studios at email@example.com. Include a cover letter, resume, along with a writing sample highlighting why you are interested in this internship opportunity and our organization.