TechSoup is looking for a talented Events Planner professional to help with our Global Summit.
The TechSoup Global Summit It is an event that happens only every 2 or 3 years and will be formative to the strategy and impact of this civil society network for the next several years. We discuss ways and practices that strengthen data and infrastructure that supports giving in the US and abroad. We provide opportunities for our partners throughout our global network to share more about their learning projects and the important challenges they see around information on civil society’s activities and to think creatively with us about how we can strengthen the dataset and data tools to foster impactful giving. We expect about 80 to 100 individuals from across our 70 NGO in-country partners. They are a very diverse and interesting group that enables global and local capacity building programs and have built an expertise and best practices around nonprofit data and its operationalization to support giving. Many corporate and foundation partners join us throughout the three days as well.
The Events Planner is responsible for managing the Global Summit conference event
in conjunction with the project manager and the senior leadership. The summit will take place in San Francisco on March 19-21. The final week before the summit and the week of the summit may entail working 16 hour days in order to support the success of the summit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in committee event planning, keeping a timeline in full view of stakeholders, with suggestions for plans that affect meeting goals, setup and execution
- Researches and makes recommendations for event catering, including locations for summit dinners and other events as necessary
- Point of Contact for event staff and catering throughout the summit
- Negotiates contracts using a list of options for cost savings variables, with full knowledge of necessary contract language in order to enhance meetings while protecting company liability
- Supervises the setup and management of on-line meeting registration to ensure smooth data entry, badge and meeting list deliverables, and communications with attendees, staff and speakers
- Serves as Materials Coordinator for event production (badges, binders, folders and packets
- Chooses meeting room setups with knowledge of best scenarios for audiences and meeting goals, and presenting possible room setup options to meeting stakeholders
- Assists with the creation, preparation, proof-reading, and review of content and formatting for all event materials including, but not limited to, invitations, RSVP's, brochures, posters, letters, programs, certificates and name tags.
- Assists with preparation and sending of event communications
- Maintains records of orders ensuring appropriate accounting. Order event related supplies including, but not limited to supplies, promotional products and incentives
- Manages conference budget, including cost estimates and actual expense tracking, finishing with an accurate cost summary to include all cost savings through the meeting date and final invoicing
- Facilitates the travel process for speakers and special guests
- Facilitates exhibit logistics at conferences
- Assists the hotel point of contact and provide assistance, when necessary, regarding hotel specifications for room setup, food and beverage, audiovisual, signage, transportation, parking and master bill arrangements.
Day of Responsibilities
- Oversee setup for events and breakdowns
- Provides on-site event support. Attends event to support staff and volunteers, help with registration and check out, help setup and take down equipment, supplies, etc.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum five years hospitality industry experience with experience in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Capable of adapting to changing circumstances, handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Proficiency in the use of computers (Microsoft and Google Drive Applications) and possesses excellent administrative and organizational competencies, as well as attention to accuracy and detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; effective interpersonal skills
- Effective negotiating skills with both internal and external parties
- Contracting experience including experience negotiating/executing legal clauses and addendums
- Ability to promote and support teamwork among peers, clients and suppliers
- Able to quickly adapt to diverse environments
- High degree of discretion
- Ability to work extended hours, both evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and be a self-starter
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated work experience as corporate event planner
- Knowledge and sensitivity to protocol
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prolonged telephone duties using handset, headset, and computer, as well as capacity to dial or otherwise use telephone to place calls
- Prolonged keyboard duties
- Access, input and retrieve information from a computer to produce typed copy, free of errors, without the assistance of another person
- Willingness and capacity to work in a cubicle environment at a workstation, and to come and go repeatedly throughout the day as is necessary, to perform various responsibilities
- Visual acuity in order to perform activities such as viewing a computer monitor for extended periods of time, analyze data and figures, and read books, files and other materials.
- Capacity to communicate and enunciate adequately, in person or via telephone, in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the employee is speaking
- Capacity to pick up, leaf through, books, files, and other materials
- Willingness and capacity to sit for minimum periods of two hours at a time
- Capacity to reach forward to a high of 48 inches, to a low of 15 inches, to the side 54 inches and to the low side 9 inches above the floor
- Ability to lift or move up to 20 pounds
- Ability to load discs and to change settings, devices, and fixtures on various equipment used in and around TechSoup
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to various components of an office environment such as florescent lighting, pollen, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, Video Display Terminals, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise.
This description is a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties associated with the position. Further, the description does not constitute a contract between the employee and employer, and the organization maintains the right to change the job duties for this position at its discretion.