At TechSoup you'll find an extraordinary vision, contagious energy, and a group of brilliant, passionate, and diverse people.
We are a nonprofit organization that believes that technology is a powerful enabler for social change. Since 1987 we've assembled a worldwide network of individuals and organizations that share this conviction. This network, one that you likely belong to, includes foundations and corporations, governments and NGO's, social entrepreneurs and volunteers. Together, these unlikely allies have developed sustainable, community-driven technology solutions to meet today's most urgent social challenges.
If you think changing the world sounds like a fulfilling way to spend your day, if you want to use your skills to help low-income and disadvantaged people, if you want to work in a fast-paced, challenging, and creative environment, come work with us!
TechSoup seeks a customer service oriented manager who will provide workplace expertise and operational support to 1) ensure the smooth operation and maintenance of our largest office which encompasses 30,000 square feet of office and warehouse space located in two buildings and approximately 180 staff and contractors; 2) plan and optimize use of the available space; 3) provide services to staff to support their goals and objectives; and 4) handle the various financial responsibilities of the facilities and services. This position will ensure smooth and effective day-to-today operations. Additionally, they will be a strategic partner working closely with the technology team, people and culture department, senior leadership, and other key stakeholders supporting meetings, events and projects and other operations, as needed. The right candidate will be encouraged to learn and discover his or her own strengths and areas of interest, in order to develop and grow in whichever direction is of interest.
Our environment is fast-paced with a high degree of energy and commitment required but also encouraging and team-based. This is an ever-evolving role and we hope to find someone who will bring excellent organization and customer service skills as well as a team orientation and a genuine interest in our work and being a long term part of our organization. This position requires an active thinker who is constantly looking for pro-active ways to improve processes, and an energetic go-getter who is not afraid to try new things (or old things in new ways).
This is a contract position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the day-to-day operations of facilities and ensures they are well-maintained
- Coordinates necessary system repairs and maintenance and monitors system performance
- Ensures that TechSoup’s San Francisco facilities meet government regulations and environmental, health, safety and security standards. This includes evaluating safety procedures/ process for fires, earthquakes, etc. with the People and Culture Department.
- Evaluates, coordinates and oversees contracts for services providers including repairs/ remodeling, security, parking, cleaning, catering, and etc.
- Executes system and process audits and record-taking policies
- Manages and supports essential central services and multi-disciplinary teams, including employee key card system, alarm system, front desk reception, break rooms, restrooms and shared spaces, incoming and outgoing mail (domestic and international), cleaning, waste disposal recycling and parking
- Responsible for responding to alarm activations and is on call for alarm services 24/365. Additionally, formulates and implements strategies to secure the Facilities if a breach has occurred. Responsible for responding to alarm activations, the on-call schedule for the operation team and is on-call for alarm services 24/7 coverage, as needed. Additionally, formulates and implements strategies to secure the Facilities if a breach has occurred.
- Supports People and Culture team with On/Off-boarding staff as it pertains to facilities (desk setup/ tear down, security access, etc.)
- Supports the creation of and helps maintain the facilities ticketing system and knowledge hub.
- Manages buildings space:
- Negotiates lease(s) and spearheads new space and/ or office relocations for the San Francisco Office (when applicable)
- Acts as liaison between TechSoup and the landlord / management companies
- Proactively investigates suitable options office space re-configurations (building projects, desk relocations, renovations and refurbishments) to maximize effective use of space to ensure optimum employee experience and success.
- Coordinates with the Director of Operations on the implementation of new building projects
- Coordinates and communicates with all departments and contractors to ensure minimum disruption to core functions during space re-configurations or maintenance work
- Assists with special needs of staff, including ergonomic requirements and enforcement of TechSoup policies
- Maintains adequate office and event inventory and order supplies, as necessary
- Supports TechSoup events/ meetings through coordinating conference room schedules and conference room calendar, room set-up, catering and clean up.
- Coordinates, plans and acquires the provisions for all TechSoup enterprise-wide events, including the annual staff Holiday Party and/ or BBQ, Face to Face weeks, etc.
- Manages facilities budgets and ensuring cost-effectiveness: develops and maintains Facilities budget, handles all Facilities Accounts Payable needs including payment of leases, utilities and Facilities purchases.
- Responsible for filling in for Reception positions and monitoring vacations and absences to ensure daily coverage.
Education and Experience
Candidates must have education and work experience that demonstrates sufficient relevant skills and knowledge as well as excellent work habits and personal attributes Experience in facilities or customer service, specifically in time-pressured and often stressful situations. We are looking for someone who thrives in a fast-pace environment, who would describe themselves as a self-starter.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Customer service mindset
- Communication and influencing skills, in person and in writing, both internally and externally
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility and adaptability that comes with a friendly attitude, a desire to learn and a good sense of humor
- The ability to lead and manage teams and projects
- Attention to detail but also the ability to see the implications for the bigger picture
- Commercial real estate awareness, especially the Bay Area market
- Intellectual curiosity – strong desire to learn and grow professionally
- Organization, time management, prioritizing and the ability to handle a complex, varied workload
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Access, input and retrieve information from a computer to produce typed copy, free of errors, without the assistance of another person
- Willingness and capacity to work in a cubicle environment at a workstation, and to come and go repeatedly throughout the day as is necessary, to perform various responsibilities
- Visual acuity in order to perform activities such as viewing a computer monitor for extended periods of time, analyze data and figures, and read books, files and other materials.
- Capacity to communicate and enunciate adequately, in person or via telephone, in a manner which can be understood by those with whom the employee is speaking
- Capacity to pick up, leaf through, books, files, and other materials
- Willingness and capacity to sit for minimum periods of two hours at a time
- Capacity to reach forward to a high of 48 inches, to a low of 15 inches, to the side 54 inches and to the low side 9 inches above the floor
- Ability to lift or move up to 30 pounds
- Ability to load discs and to change settings, devices, and fixtures on various equipment used in and around TechSoup
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to various components of an office environment such as florescent lighting, pollen, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, Video Display Terminals, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise.
This description is a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties associated with the position. Further, the description does not constitute a contract between the employee and employer, and the organization maintains the right to change the job duties for this position at its discretion.