Regional Manager, Africa
TechSoup Global Network
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
We are a high-impact, global nonprofit social enterprise that believes in using technology for the greater good. Since 1987, we’ve been building partnerships and alliances with individuals, corporations, nonprofits, and governments across the globe – all committed to helping nonprofits fully access the profound power of technology and a connected world — and use it to improve lives.
TechSoup’s Global Network comprises 65 leading capacity-building nonprofits from around the world who work in concert to deliver our technology programs and collaborate on new solutions because as technology and global needs change, so do we. We’re creating new, community-driven platforms and mobile apps and are enhancing our offerings so that nonprofits around the world have the resources they need to build a brighter future for millions of individuals.
We’re innovators, leaders, influencers, social entrepreneurs, and technologists drawn together by a shared vision: to make the world a better place through technology. Join us!
We are looking for an experienced, hands on collaborator to develop and manage our partnerships and programmatic activity in Africa. Working with TechSoup leadership and our partners in Africa, you will be responsible for developing, communicating and implementing a strategic plan that supports enterprise objectives to grow our impact and presence in Africa.
This role requires excellent relationship skills and a keen understanding of the promise and challenge of technology in driving positive social change. As the Regional Manager for Africa, you will be: the primary point of contact for our stakeholders in this region, responsible for developing new and existing relationships and driving an ambitious agenda around digital transformation for African NGOs.
This position reports to the TSGN Executive Vice President based in San Francisco.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop, communicate and implement goals, strategies and performance metrics for our work in Africa that support enterprise “Objectives and Key Responsibilities” (OKRs) and track progress at the regional and partner level.
- Be responsible for growing the impact of TechSoup in the region by collaborating with partners to grow programs and operations.
- Source new partners, funders, supporters and/or contractors in region as needed to achieve goals.
- Maintain regular and effective communications with TSGN partners in the region, both online and face to face, to ensure alignment, cohesion and engagement across the Network; act as the “go to person” for partners in escalating issues to ensure resolutions are achieved
- Cultivate strong relationships with global and local donors and funders, engaging their support for TechSoup activities and services in region.
- Oversee governance, management and operational matters related to the set-up and running of TechSoup’s nascent regional support center in Kenya where centralized support to our partners is provided.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of processes to efficiently deliver support and services.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting on regional center activities for internal insight and planning purposes; ensure compliance with local laws and regulations regarding local filings, including tax filings.
- Collaborate and cooperate with TechSoup’s Development team and TSGN partners; develop funding concepts and proposals to grow support for strategic projects and programs.
- Represent and showcase TechSoup activity, partners and programs at local, national and regional events and via online social platforms.
- Perform other duties, as needed and assigned by the Executive Vice President.
- Extensive experience (8 years or more) working in the field of technology preferably within the social change or nonprofit (NGO) environment in Africa.
- Hands-on knowledge about technology products, solutions and related services, including familiarity with barriers to adoption and use within the social or nonprofit sector.
- An understanding of Africa’s socio-political context and nuances.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English; additional languages, such as French or Arabic, a plus!
- Effective communicator, relationship builder and networker.
- Ability to be flexible in working hours given the international nature of this position.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Experience working in international or cross-cultural environments with a genuine curiosity about and respect for different cultures and traditions.
- Familiarity with digital marketing and effective engagement campaigns.